Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Paleo/GF "One Minute Muffin"

I'm a bread freak.  Nothing makes me happier than a glass of red wine and some chewy, crusty, artisan bread.  Well, that becomes a problem when I'm eating trying to eat grain free.

Back during my first go around with Gluten Free, I hunted high and low for a GF bread, and I finally found one that was pretty good....but pretty void of good ingredients.  It wasn't grain free, either.  So, back to the interwebs I went in search for a healthy, grain free bread alternative, and I came across this magic "one minute muffin."  I gave the first recipe I came across a go, and was pleasantly surprised!  But, in usually CiCi fashion, I knew I could tweak it to make it just a little bit better.  This is by-far the closest "bread" recipe I've come across, and it just so happens to be ridiculously easy!

I love this "bread" option!  Here's why:
  • it contains good wholesome ingredients
  • it makes a single serving (which is good for this single gal)
  • it's FAST
  • it's EASY
  • you don't waste ingredients testing out a full bread loaf recipe only to have it fail (expensive!)
  • the taste is pretty darn good, and the texture is actually light and fluffy!
The one downside of this bread is only for those who are microwave haters.  For me, I don't sweat it.  I've got bigger worries...like how I can finally enjoy a freakin' sandwich again!!!  The microwave is actually key to this recipe because it creates an awesome steamy atmosphere.


CiCi's Paleo/GF "One Minute Muffin" Bread
(modified from this recipe, which is good, as well, but includes flax, which some prefer to avoid)

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup almond flour (finely ground!)
  • 1 Tbs. Psyllium Husk powder (can be found at many grocery stores in fiber section and at Natural Foods stores)
  • pinch of kosher/sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder (could probably reduce to a 1/4 tsp)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbs. water
  • 1 tsp. coconut oil/olive oil/ghee...a good fat!
Directions:

Lightly oil/spray a ramekin (preferably shallow and wide) or wide base bowl (see mine below).  Combine and thoroughly mix dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Set aside.  Whisk egg, water, and oil together in another small bowl.  Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients.  Mix until just incorporated; add to sprayed bowl/ramekin.

According to my microwave, microwave uncovered on HIGH for 1 min. 30 sec.  Your microwave may be stronger than mine and require less time.

Let cool for a minute in the bowl, then run a knife along the edge and invert onto cooling rack.  After cooling for a bit, I take a sharp knife and split mine.  I always toast mine before eating, but you certainly don't have to.

(base of bowl is about 4in. in diameter)

No comments: