Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Blog Challenge: Day 2


2. Write a six word memoir

I'm not too excited about today's writing prompt.  First, I had to google just what exactly a memoir was as the "six word" part was throwing off my previous understanding of the literary term.  The google search did not help clarify the prompt, and only reaffirmed what I already knew, so I went back to the original 15 Day Challenge poster's bog to see an example of what she wrote for this prompt.  Here's what I found:


Apparently, I am to write a six word sum-up of my life as Hemmingway was once asked to do, so here goes:

"Beware: banana peels on diverged roads."

So far in my 30 years of life, this six word memoir is how I currently interpret life.  As I get older and stay unmarried, I see myself standing at the head of so many options.  As Frost said: two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.  *Side note: I love this poem and it's fluidity no matter how "over played" it is.

Here's my problem: I'm scared of slipping on all the banana peels left behind all these years no matter the road I take.  I feel haunted by social convention, my upbringing (not to say it was bad), expectations, my own fears, and external and internal pressures.  All these worries have peppered my paths in life like banana peels carelessly flung over a shoulder, and it exhausts me.  What if I slip on one, and it results in me making a wrong choice or a choice that's not truly mine?  Sometimes, I wish I would have married and had babies in my early twenties so my options would be somewhat confined within a reasonable margin, and I would have a partner to help in the decision making.



Aside from the random banana peels, I have this to obsess over: ...and that has made all the difference.  Seriously?!  All the difference?!  Uuuugggghhhh!  What if I make the wrong choice?  How will I ever decide knowing the great weight of my decision?!  Why did the damn road have to diverge?!?!?!

I need to seriously grow some balls...and schedule an appointment with my psychiatrist.  


No comments: