Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The December Blog Dare: Day 1

I've been looking high and low for some writing inspiration or prompts, and, low and behold, I came across this December Blog Dare via a friend of a friend of friend's blog post.  YES!  So, thank you to the people over at this blog for letting me borrow your genius so I can be entertaining for at least 31 days.  Damn, I have some catching up to do....

Day 1:  My Holiday Wish!

Hmmm, you know, it's kind of weird for me to 1) make a wish at all, and 2) confine it to a set time frame, i.e. "the holidays."  I'm not much for wishing.  I think wishing is for the naive, which I wish I was.  I don't wish; I DO.  I would say I wish I could be in Colorado with my family, but, guess what?, I'm DOING that.  Or, I could be generic and wish for a million dollars, world peace, and a cure for cancer, but I'm a realist and know that shit is not going to happen.  Maybe I could wish for new boots for Christmas?  Oooops, already bought 'em; I'm wearing them as we speak.  I could wish for personal happiness, but what kind of lazy ass would I be to just expect that to happen without any work on my part?  Again, that "doing" part gets in the way of "wishing."

The term "wish" is about as worthless to me as the term "hero."  I've never been fond of either.  Hero is a strong word.  There is not a single human being I could/would consider my "hero" unless someone literally saves me from some catastrophic event, like drowning.  Don't get me wrong, there are people whose choices in life and personality characteristics I greatly admire, but they're not my "hero."  I consider these people to be more like gurus, teachers, and inspirations.  The term "hero" is intense and all too encompassing for me, and there is no such thing as a perfect person, so, under that definition, can a "hero" even exist?  And, if a hero can exist, how pathetic are you to want to wholly be just like them?  Not for me.  One person I admire may be a great listener...but a shitty cook!  Therefore, they can not be my hero; no hero of mine would suck in the kitchen...just sayin'.  I prefer to pick and choose parts of the many wonderful people in my life to guide me through MY life.

*waiting for someone to comment with, "Not true!  Jesus is perfect, and he is my hero!"*  FYI, the supernatural are not allowed in this conversation.


So, with all that said, I can honestly fully support my "wish" of having crisp and cold weather this holiday season.  There's not a damn thing I can DO about the weather, and it's not completely unrealistic for that to happen here in South Texas.  There!  A true wish!  I would really like for this wish to be granted because the weather here has been horrendously hot lately making it very difficult to get in the holiday spirit...can't ya tell?! ;-)

Snowflakes and Redbirds *fingers crossed*,
CC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could never be your "hero" because I am in fact sub-par in the kitchen. I love your realist perspective on life, and admire your ability to not just sit back and wish. CC is a woman that gets shit done! You make your own ice cream for Christs sake! You make magic happen :)

Unknown said...

Those who make their own ice cream are, in fact, heroes to many ;-) I'm my own hero and villain with this ice cream mess...