Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Pretty Damn Good GF Cocoa Brownies

I like to have a solid fudgy cocoa brownie recipe on hand because I rarely have bar chocolate around to make the other kind.  Supposedly, it's hard to get a fudgy brownie from a cocoa recipe, but it can be done.  Here's a really awesome GF brownie recipe that definitely has the fudge factor.  I adapted it from this original recipe; if you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see "Clare's Brownies"...what a coincidence, eh?  She must rock ;-)




GF Fudgy Cocoa Brownies


Wet Ingredients-
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup butter crisco
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Dry Ingredients-
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup certified GF oat flour
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)


Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease bottom of 9X9 square pan, or line with foil.

Combine all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Throughly combine with a whisk or electric mixer.

Cut Crisco butter stick for 1/4 cup, and, and melt in microwave until Crisco is no longer solid.  Add canola oil to melted crisco, and let cool slightly.  Add eggs and vanilla extract to oils.  Pierce yolks, and whisk with a fork until combined.  Pour wet into dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly.  Batter will be thick.

Pour/press into greased baking dish.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Cool completely before cutting.

6 comments:

Emily said...

MMMmmm...brownies!

Lindsay said...

So is all the gluten free helping? I'm kinda afraid to ask, ya know curiosity killed the cat and all.

Lindsay said...

BTW,the GF Betty Crocker brownie mix plus a cup or so of mini chocolate chips plus a teaspoon of vanilla extract works in a pinch. I have a batch in my pantry from yesterday. Cost effective, no, convenient, yes.

I tried another brownie mix a few weeks ago that a friend gave me, it was GF/Dairy free and organic/fair trade, etc. It was not good at all, very grainy and dried out/went stale very quickly. Luckily I served them with fresh whipped cream and strawberries and so I guess all was forgiven. It was the exception that proved the rule of "I've never met a brownie I didn't like."

Unknown said...

Lindsay, YES, the GF thing is totally helping! Without going into details, lets just say I have been way impressed with my easy "exit strategy" now ;-)

And yes, the Betty GF brownies are good. I've had them, but refuse to pay for them ever again. This recipe is just as good, if not better than those. Steven loves these GF brownies (he's my ultimate "normal guy" taste tester). I also served them to his whole family, and they loved them. Give them a try!

Anonymous said...

Add water? Don't see that in the recipe. Thanks!

Unknown said...

ooops! It was just a 1 Tbs. due to the Crisco substitution for butter, but I ommited it this last time I baked them, and they were great. So, I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks for pointing it out; I'll fix it!