Alright, enough with the sappy stuff. How many of you watch Alton Brown's show on the Food Network? Well, you should. I used to hate Alton Brown before I actually watched his shows. I don't like being treated like a 3rd grader, and his shows kind of have that feel. Once you get past that, you can see the true worth of his show. He focuses on the science of cooking; and, in regards to baking, science is oh-so important...especially when baking GF. Anyway, I trust almost any recipe that comes from him, and luckily, he perfected the GF chocolate chip cookie. I slightly modified the recipe because I felt like it was a little heavy on the brown sugar side creating a cookie with a tendency to spread too much. Also, I always bake with Crisco butter. There you have it; my secret to baking is ALWAYS baking with butter Crisco.
* Tip #1: Invest in a cheap little oven thermometer and digital scale. The odds your oven thermostat is off is highly likely. I have yet to have an oven's displayed temp be the actual temp. inside the oven. And having a scale around makes any recipe possible. Plus, your measurements will be exact, and it's easier than using measuring cups if you utilize the "tare" function. I use my scale daily for numerous purposes.
* Tip #2: Use parchment paper to line your cookie sheet, and only bake on air bake cookie sheets!
A VERY Close Rendition of
Ingredients
- 1 cup butter flavored crisco
- 2 Tbs water
- 7 ounces white rice flour
- 4 ounces certified gluten free oat flour
- 1 1/4 ounces cornstarch
- 1/2-ounce tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (I personally use half to 3/4 a 12 ounce bag)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, sift together the rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour, xantham gum, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
Cream the butter crisco, water, and both sugars until light and fluffy. Wisk the whole egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract together in a small bowl, and add to creamed sugar and crisco. Cream those together thoroughly. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 11 minutes. Move the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. Store cooked cookies in an airtight container.
No comments:
Post a Comment