I LOVE bread. I've always said I could live off of red wine, brie cheese, and a chewy crusty artisan loaf of bread. With that said, I was not going to compromise on my level of acceptance for GF bread. Store made GF bread is alright, but it is dry and damn expensive for a tiny little loaf. I've been searching and testing GF bread recipes out the wazoo, and have finally found THE one and only GF bread recipe. It's an Udi's copycat recipe, and I can assure you it's better than the real thing. I even desire to eat this bread on its own! It's chewy, moist, and has a great classic bread flavor. Search no longer, GF friends...here is the gold.
Udi's Copy Cat GF Bread Recipe
(This is my photo)
Thank you so much to the person who created this recipe...you gave me the hope I needed to continue my GF experiment! Please note, this is NOT my original recipe; click on the link above for where this recipe came from. I'm strictly copying it over to my blog in case the original poster's blog ever goes away. I sliiiiighty changed the directions, but not the ingredients and measurements.
Tips for this recipe: Follow the directions exactly! Yes, bake it for that long (otherwise your bread will fall), cool on its side while still in the bread pan, and do NOT cut it before cooling completely. Store in the refrigerator, and lightly toast before eating. Recently, I substituted 1/2 cup white rice flour and 1/4 cup millet flour for the whole 3/4 cup brown rice flour referenced in the recipe, and it turned out very tasty!
1 cup Tapioca Flour
3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour (I used white because that's what I had)
1/4 cup Potato Starch
2 Tablespoons Oil
3 Egg Whites
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 package (2 1/2 tea) Rapid Rise Yeast (I used regular rise yeast, and it was just fine)
2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
3/4 cup Warm Water
Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Once preheated turn oven off.
Lightly grease an 8 x 4 bread pan.
3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour (I used white because that's what I had)
1/4 cup Potato Starch
2 Tablespoons Oil
3 Egg Whites
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 package (2 1/2 tea) Rapid Rise Yeast (I used regular rise yeast, and it was just fine)
2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
3/4 cup Warm Water
Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Once preheated turn oven off.
Lightly grease an 8 x 4 bread pan.
- Combine warm water, yeast, and 1Tbs of the sugar. Wait for yeast to wake up and get foamy.
- Combine flours, xanthum gum, the other 1Tbs of sugar, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Add yeast mixture, oil, and vinegar to egg whites. Whip to combine.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in the mixer, and whip for 3 or 4 minutes. "Dough" will look like thick cake batter.
- Scrape dough into greased bread pan, and place in warmed oven to rise about 45 minutes.
- Take bread out of oven and preheat oven to 350F
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let rest 10 minutes in the pan turned on its side.
- Remove from pan and continue cooling on a rack.
- Don't rush the cooling step, it needs to cool properly or you will squash the bread height.
- Once completely cool, store in the refrigerator. Due to the bread's lightness, it will be easy to slice once it has firmed up in the refrigerator. It will "reawaken" beautifully when toasted, like crusty ciabatta bread :-)
9 comments:
Reading your comments about my bread recipe brings a tear to my eye. No really. I suffered incredibly with bad bread before this one. Smelly, chewy, dense, crumbly bread. So many times I wanted to just give up and live a life of bread-less living. It's my young daughter (Claire, love the name!) who is also a celiac that kept me going. I truly appreciate your passing the recipe along and the link. Oh and by the way, I LOVE your picture! Love the whiteness inside. It reminds me of store bought White Wheat bread. I use an electric knife to slice my bread still fresh. Does wonders and does not squash the hight.
Extraordinary Life
How exciting to hear from you, Lisa! Your bread is the best! And trust me when I say I don't hand out compliments to just anyone ;-) Keep up the good work, and thanks for the tips!
Claire, thank you so much for posting yummy GF recipes! I've been GF since November, and have had more failed bread recipes than successful. Actually, none have been successful. I'm definitely going to be trying this! I'm tired of the frozen bread!! Hope you're doing well :)
I hope you do try it, Jenny! It's awesome!
Good to hear from you, and there will be plenty more GF recipes to come...
Hey! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about gluten free breads. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about gluten free breads. Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well.
A growing body of evidence suggests that a majority of people with celiac disease and following a gluten-free diet can safely consume pure oats in moderate amounts. Studies have indicated, however, that the commercial oat supply in Canada and other countries is contaminated with other grains.
These wholegrain breads use whole rice, whole corn and millet as main ingredients. They are slow baked at a low temperature to maintain important nutrients and minerals. According to the European tradition, they have a firm texture; they do not try to be fluffy or spongey.
Loved the post and I am going to bookmark this(ravioles aux cepes). I'll share this with my friends. thanks
Having some trouble with this shrinking when it comes out and wrecking the texture. I followed your instructions religiously, I promise. Has this happened to you? Should I turn the oven off and let it cool in there for awhile on its side? I really want this to work.
Kristy,
Hmmmmmm, well, for one, I have not made this bread in almost a year (due to not doing gluten free at the time), so I'm a little rusty on all the little details that go in to making it...
The main problem solvers for me were cooking the bread for much longer than my gut wanted me to and cooling the bread on it's side while still being in the pan. It will still shrink some, but it should not totally collapse.
Are you baking it for 60+ minutes? Is your oven temp accurate? Many ovens are off, and some by as much as 75 degrees! Buy a cheap little hang-in-your-oven thermometer at your local grocery to see if your temperature is accurate to your oven's degree dial. My biggest problem when making GF breads at first was not cooking them long enough. It's ridiculous how long they require; goes way past your instinct of when to pull it out.
When you remove the bread from the pan to continue to cool it, are you still leaving it on its side? You need to, if not.
You might be on to something with letting it cool on its side in the oven as the oven cools...but you could possibly get a cracker if you don't babysit it. I'm worried the oven would take longer to cool than necessary for the bread (hence cracker worry), so maybe crack the oven door once it gets down to 175-200F in the oven.
It would help if I could see a pic of your bread the moment you're wanting to take it out of the oven and another after cooling. If you want to send me some pics, please feel free to do so at clairecoloredlenses@gmail.com.
I want this to work for you, too!
Thank you for the detailed response! I left it in for 60 minutes on the button. Maybe I'll give it another 5 next time. I'm baking constantly, so I know my oven temp is accurate. The bread started to shrink while it was in the pan, on its side. I think I will add the 5 min to the cook time and then leave it in the oven with the door open to cool. If none of that works, pictures! Lol.
Post a Comment