Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hiddy-Ho, Gluten Free Land!

As you all know, I'm obsessed with poo.  Yes, your poo, my poo, my dog's poo, what it looks like, smells like, and how often.  I pretty much believe healthy poo'ing is the secret to a happy life...ha!  Na, for real, dawg.  So, anyway, my passion for exploring different food lifestyles stems from my obsession with finding one that will help me poo the best.

I've had chronic constipation for a very large portion of my life.  I can't poo without some sort of extra help.  I've taken stool softeners, laxatives, Miralax, fiber, orange juice, pineapple juice, digestive enzymes, and probiotics.  Some of those were wise choices and some were not.  I now take digestive enzymes and probiotics, and I'm really happy with them...but, it still pisses me off that I can't "go" solely on my own.

I was reading my friend's blog one day, and she was getting down and dirty about her daughter's poo.  Immediately, I was interested...duh.  He daughter's had chronic constipation, and they've did the whole intense fiber bullsh!t (more on my fiber theory another day), doctor goose chase, and finally came across a doctor who suggested she be tested for Celiac.  Long story short, her daughter came back as a positive for Celiac Disease.  "And constipation is a symptom for Celiac", you ask?  Why, yes, it is.  It is now a serious symptom that was previously overlooked due to believing Celiacs only had severe diarrhea  I'm not going to explain the "why's" here; you can research it on your own if you care to know.

So, it got me thinking.  My poo'ing was the absolute best when I was in my raw vegan phase.  When you are raw vegan there is no "real" bread to eat.  Raw vegan breads and baked goods are mostly made from nut, seed, and fruit/veggie pulp.  Therefore, my diet was unknowingly void of gluten during that time and my "waste flow" was easy and regular.  Ever since I weened off the raw vegan diet, my constipation returned.  I initially thought it was the introduction of meat into my diet, but we really eat a very small amount of meat still....but, I eat a crap load of bread and baked goods.  Bread was the food I missed the most while on the raw vegan diet; so, you can imagine how nuts I went for it when it was reintroduced to my diet.

In conclusion, I've been giving gluten free a try and so far so good.  My poo has been really good, and I've cut back to only taking half of my enzymes and probiotics...yay!  Do I think I'm Celiac?  Honestly, I'm not sure, but I don't think so.  Gluten sensitive?  Probably a more reasonable diagnosis.  Plus, I LOVE to explore new techniques of various food lifestyles; so, it's a fun challenge for me!  It's funny...when I tell people I'm trying out a gluten free diet they immediately tell me how hard it is and so on.  HAHA!  Try Raw Veganism, and then we'll talk about "challenging" and life altering.  This sh!t's a cakewalk compared to that ;-)

No comments: