I've had this friendship that's been teetering on existence for close to a year now. She used to be my best friend. I won't go into specifics or opinions regarding the decline of our relationship out of respect for her privacy. Well, it finally happened -- she blocked me from her blog. In this day and age, and because I know her personality, that means our friendship is officially over. *sigh* We don't talk on the phone anymore, or e-mail, text, or facebook. Her blog was my only knowledge of her current life happenings. Not anymore.
Situations like these always remind me how interesting it is when a close friendship goes sour. Immediately, we erase them wholly from our lives, taking it to the extreme (that's not to specify this particular situation); yet, we all keep a friend list of 500 people on our facebook whom only half we actually know, and maybe a fourth we have some sort of acquaintance with, allowing them access to our every emotion and detail of life...but not that one true close friendship you had that happened to dissolve for whatever reason.
Call me narcissistic, but it's a compliment, in a way, when someone has to reciprocate with such a strong emotion in reaction to the fall of a relationship. It's safer to hate than to fear the possibility of still loving that person. At least you know you weren't just a passer-by in their life; you made some sort of impression, whether positive or negative, leaving a fossil behind. Oh, believe me, I've been that scared hater. No denying, here! I am everyone of these cliches. It's human nature, and I don't have an answer to it...just an observation.
As much as I really want to explode with verbal diarrhea on this whole situation, I've had quite a while to expect, and desensitize to, this forthcoming day. It still makes me sad, though.
2 comments:
I'm a little late on commenting on this one but...long time ago I got one of those emails saying people are in your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. I'm sure you've seen it before. It just simplified it for me on the loss of friends. It still sucks & hurts but at least I believe that that's how life is supposed to carry on. They are still a part of us (our past) to make us who we are for our future. It still just plain ole sucks.
Thanks, Mandy...that IS a good quite,and I should try to instill it more often. I'm glad you're a friend of mine :-)
Post a Comment