Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Holiday Season Has Come..."BOO!"

NOT "boo" as in thumbs down, but "BOO!" as in ghosts and goblins and pumpkins!  When money's tight you have to find creative ways to cut pricey corners.  It's especially hard to justify spending money on "wants", instead of "needs", which is the category holiday decor falls in.  So, I went to searching the web for self-made alternatives.  I found two different Halloween DIY wreaths I like..this ribbon one (CLICK HERE), and this tulle one (CLICK HERE).  I actually like the ribbon wreath better than the tulle one, but the toulle one was less expensive to make...so that was the winner.



Now, I'm not going to type all all the instructions when you can just click on the link above, but I will share a few of my observations while making this thing.

- First, she says to cut the tulle in 18 inch long strips. I felt that was a little too long, and after knotting a row at 18 inches, I started cutting my tulle in 16 inch strips. I liked the results much better.

- Don't use the glittered tulle unless you're some kind of masochistic crafter who likes to deal with that $h!t. The glitter tulle, which was only the orange tulle for me, was such a pain! Glitter every where, and it was also stiffer, which made it more difficult to work with. As you can see, I got so sick of working with that glitter tulle, I pretty much just stopped, hahaha. Lazy crafter!

- The ten yards of ribbon will be just enough to wrap around the straw wreath, so don't waste it by it over-lapping your layers too much.

-  I used corsage/floral pins to secure my ribbon after wrapping.





If I were to do this again, I would complete the wreath all the way around (which I could do now; I just needed a break..hehe) and probably only use one color. All in all, it was fun (except for the glitter), cheap, and you could adapt this idea to any holiday or event by simply changing out the tulle color.  Honestly, my favorite part was right after I wrapped the ribbon around the straw wreath before adding the tulle.  Think I might adapt that idea with some real pretty ribbons, and different size wreaths, as a cool wall decor idea.  Hmmmm.  Anyway, the snow ball affect in my brain has started....

2 comments:

Christina said...

SUPER HOT! omg let's craft together!!! do you sew?

Unknown said...

I love to craft! Unfortunately, no, I do not sew, but that's only because I don't know how...teach me!