*UPADATE: I'm not sure how I feel about these, now. There's some tweeking that needs to be done, but I just don't know where, yet. I'm starting to think I don't like agave nectar dehydrated. So maybe use all raw honey for the sweetener. I'll keep you guys posted once I make these again with all honey, and see what that does.*
"Wet" Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tsp. coconut oil/butter
- 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 tsp water
"Dry" Ingredients:
- 1 cup shredded dry coconut
- 1 cup dehydrated almond meal/pulp (left over from making almond milk)
- 1 cup RAW rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
Process:
In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. Stir thoroughly. Set aside.
Trace the bottom of a 9X9 brownie pan onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cut out the tracing, and place the square sheet of parchment in the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
In a food processor, combine all "wet" ingredients and process to the consistency of a smooth nut butter. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir thoroughly until wet mixture is evenly distributed, and "dough" comes together.
To shape, turn dough out into the parchment lined pan. Use plastic wrapped over the top to press the dough evenly, and firmly, into the bottom of the pan. Put in the fridge or freezer for a little it (approx. 10 min) to allow the oils in the dough to firm. Once dough has firmed, invert the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper, slide onto your dehydrator tray, cut around the edges of the paper to trim off the excess, and then peel off the original sheet that was once the bottom.
*If you do not have a dehydrator, you can cut into bars at this point, individually wrap in plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator. They are perfectly fine to eat this way, but might not stay put together as well as a dehydrated, or baked (if you wish to go the non-raw route), bar. They will also be easier to cut at this point the colder they are.*
Dehydrate for a few hours @ 105 degrees. At this point, invert onto a cutting board and cut into rectangles. (I think I got 12 bars out of this. I cut the big square down the middle both ways, and then cut each of those squares into three rectangles.) Place cut bars back on the dehdyrator sheet, and dry at least overnight, or until the consistency you desire is reached.
I store almost everything in the fridge to be on the safe side, especially since the bars will not be 100% dehydrated at this thickness....hence the reason they're chewy.
Happy eating,
Claire



6 comments:
*Claire Side Note* I know a lot of vegans don't eat honey because it involces a bee, but I don't have a problem with it. Raw is the main factor for me, not the bee. If honey does both you, I'm sure you could use all agave nectar (or maybe a little less since it's supposedly sweeter than honey), but the consistency will not be exactly the same. Play with it, and see what you can make work for your needs. This recipe does not seem to be very finicky.
can i just pay you for some...so I don't have to make them??!!!
Holly, I make you a raw food goodie basket as a belated b-day present...how 'bout that?
Ok, this looks and sounds scrumptious...but I don't have a dehydrator and I'm not sure where I buy raw agave nectar. I have a Whole Foods not too far from me...??
....nevertheless, my birthday was in April ;)
Jill, yes you can get agave nectar at Whole Foods. You could probably just use all honey if you can't find agave nectar.
And you don't necessarily have to have a dehydrator to make these! The dough is totally edible all on it's on pre-dehydration. You could shape into little cookies, or press the mixture in the 9X9 pan, freeze for about 30 minutes, invert onto a cutting board, cut into bars, individually wrap, and then store in the fridge. There's many ways to get around certain "obstacles."
Ok, so after eating these guys this week, I think they're a little too sweet. I reduced the agave amount from 1/3 cup to 1/4 cup. Maybe that will help. Suggestions welcomed!
Post a Comment