First off, here are the leafy greens I'm using this week...kale and spinach. It's good to mix different greens so you get a broader nutritional profile spectrum (sounds much more fussy than it is). You can either do this by mixing greens in one smoothie, or trade off days of just using one type of green in a smoothie. A good tip is to wash/prepare all your produce as soon as you get home from the grocery store. Here, you can see I've de-stemed and washed the kale and spinach, and have stored them in 1 gal. zip lock bags. I also cut slits in my bags to help the greens breathe. This will help prevent premature spoilage.

Ok, Holly, there are no exact measurements here, but this morning I used approximately a handful of kale, and a handful of spinach. Trust me, it seems like a lot, but it's not. You will not taste the greens in your smoothie!

Here are the fruits I'll be using today. You'll also see ginger in there. I love ginger. It adds a little "fresh spice," as I like to call it, to whatever you're making. It is strong, though, so if you wish to add ginger make sure to peel the outer skin, and then just cut off a little "disk" about the size of a nickle to start.
"Staple fruits" for me are apple and banana. I almost always put strawberries in the mix, as well, because I always have fresh ones on hand (my favorite fruit), but my amount of strawberries will vary depending on whatever other fruits I have on hand. I'm going to use more strawberries today because I need to use these poor little suckers before they go bad!

Another great tip is to freeze fruit! Fruit freezes GREAT, and it's perfect for smoothies because they'll add a creamy consistency, and make your drink nice and cold. I almost always use frozen bananas in my smoothies. When freezing fruit, make sure to wash (as always), and then make sure the fruit is COMPLETELY dry of any wash water before freezing them. Wet fruit will not freeze well!

Ok, so this morning's fruit concoction was kale, spinach, strawberries, frozen banana, half an apple, sliver of ginger, and about 1/4 cup of blueberries. Holly, if you do not use blueberries, or blackberries, DO NOT freak out when your smoothie looks green. Blueberries and blackberries have a huge affect on making your smoothie look "pretty."
*UPDATE* Three main ingredients that are now staples in my smoothies are lemon, pineapple, and spirulina powder. These are must have for the tastiest, and most nutritionally packed, smoothie!

Now, BLEND! This part can be tricky, or trying, at first, but be patient. You will need to add either water or fresh squeezed juice ONLY. Do not use a store bought juice (Holly!), as it defeats the purpose of having a wholly raw nutritious smoothie. Store bought juices have added sugar and are pasteurized. The clay pitcher next to my blender has some diluted grape juice I made myself by using my nut mylk bag, but I use water all the time, too. The key to adding liquid to your smoothie is to NOT add too much too fast (this key for any blended drink, by the way).
You can actually start your blender on low with the top off, and start drizzling in your liquid. You will see it can take a while for it to get started. Use a spoon, or something, to press the mixture down into the blades. Add liquid as needed, but be patient; it will come together. Some people prefer to blend in stages. For example, they'll blend the greens with the liquid first, then start adding fruit. This works just fine, as well. I don't feel like I need to do that, but if your blender sucks (Holly!), you might want to go this route.

And, voila! Green smoothie! As you can see, what seemed to be A LOT pre-blended, does not end up being that massive post-blended. It definitely suffices as a meal; I drink mine for breakfast. As you get more acquired to having greens in your smoothies, try adding a larger amount to the mix. Leafy green veggies are amazing for your health, and we don't get enough of them in our daily diet! A green smoothie is better for you than eating a spinach salad. Blending your greens, as opposed to chewing them in your salad, breaks down the cells walls so our bodies can consuming the maximum amount of nutrients possible. When eating a salad, although we chew our spinach, we do not chew it to a total pulp before digesting it. This is essential.

Enjoy your greens smoothies, people! I know this was a way-too-detailed explanation, but I'll do whatever is needed to help a friend (Holly!) along to better nutrition and more home preparing of food.
Tips for a Successful Green Smoothie!
- Freeze your fruit! Not only will it keep for a long time, but frozen fruit will give your smoothie a cold creamy consistency! Definitely use frozen fruit over ice cubes. Ice cubes = watered down smoothie...eeeew. During blending, the motor of your blender can warm up smoothie. Double eeeeeew! I always freeze my bananas, berries, and and grapes. Freezing fruit also allows you to stock up on yummy seasonal fruits that don't taste so great later in the year, and you can also buy more of whatever fruit might happen to be on sale that day without freaking out about eating it all before it goes bad.'
- Know your "sweet power fruits." These are fruits like apples, bananas, pineapple, and grapes. They are almost always sweet year around (especially grapes), and should be used in your smoothie as if you were adding sweetener. Need to mask a leafy green better, or making a green smoothie for a newbie? Load that baby up with these sweet fruits.
- Smoothie virgins, don't go too green too fast. As you drink more smoothies, you will probably start acquiring your taste for more mature greens with less super sweet fruit taste, but until then, take it slow! The easiest green to start with is spinach. It blends easy leaving a nice texture, and has a very smooth, and "maskable" flavor. Start with spinach, and then work up to more advance greens like kale, collards, etc.
- DO NOT BE SCARED of fruit! Forget calories, and all that other conventional crap we've been listening to. Your smoothie needs fruit, and a lot of it. For example, I always put at least 1 whole orange, 1/2 large apple, and 1 whole banana, and then I throw in various small hand fulls of other frozen berries I have. This is your breakfast; make it count!
- If your blender is not a "super man" blender, then blend in batches. Take a fresh orange and your greens with a tiny splash of water to get moving, and blend those first, then start adding the rest of your fresh fruits, and then finish with the frozen fruits.
- Drink your smoothie out of a straw. If you have food texture issues, you might feel safer using a straw. A box of straws is so cheap at the grocery store. Also, drinking out of a straw reduces possible acid wear on your teeth. If you wish to be more green, you can buy a reusable glass straw here .
- Don't add too much water too soon. Be patient. Use a spoon to press your mixture down into the blades as an air pocket forms. Add water a tablespoon at a time. Pulse your fruit in the beginning while also pushing the mixture down, untill liquid from the fresh fruit starts to release. Once it gets turning, then you can turn the blender on a steady speed, slowly working your way up to the highest speed.
Also, being the foodie braggart I am, I have to show you all the most amazing bread I made yesterday. Isn't it beautiful?! It's a multi-grain bread consisting of millet, almond meal, flax seed, flax meal, wheat bran, oats, sprouted wheat berries, and corn meal. I can't wait to make my veggie sandwich for lunch today! I know bread's not raw, but hey, I'm transitioning folks ;)

Happy fooding!
Claire
17 comments:
this rocks. I am going to stop at the store on the way home!! Love the pictures and the detail....ohh you know me well....
Good! I'm glad it will suffice!
Man, the pics look like caca. I can't get them to do what I want them to do!
Hey Claire.Are you becoming vegetarian? How does eating all the greens make you feel? Do you notice a difference? Thanks for all the detail in your post.I enjoy reading them.
I wish these blogs will tell when someone commments back...etc. I am really going to try this...although I may gag the first one down (v-8 grosses me out...it's the whole grinding up veggies thing) But i can do it!! I need to eat more than pizza and wings!!!
Brian, I've been doing this vegetarian experiment for a couple weeks now. I've have meat twice since starting, and haven't really craved it, either. I'm adopting the principle that I'll cook/eat vegetarian while dining at home (which is 90% of the time), but not deny meat when I either want it, or am served it at someone's house. As for more energy, I would say yes. I've noticed I don't get the 3pm "yawns," and it's awesome feeling so "light" all the time. Glad you like the blog; there's more to come!
And Holly, I know what you mean about grinding up veggies, but greens don't seem like "veggies" to me. Now if I were grinding up a squash in there, it might be a different story. Don't worry, I almost gagged at the thought of drinking my first green smoothie, but then I tasted how awesome it was, and soon got over the gag thing.
Thanks for the advice! I'm trying it too! PS, is that a JoeFrank McKee creation?
Ha, no Becca, it's not a McKee pitcher....but all my coffee mugs are, and I love them! This pitcher is actually a gift my sister brought back to me from France.
I miss you!
It didn't look his style, but I thought I'd ask! I miss you too!
that bread looks AMAZING! great job! and thanks for the detail on the green smoothies. I know a few veggies who blend and they almost always add some kind of protein powder or egg or whatever. why have you decided to leave these out? Not that I think they're necessary, I'm just curious.
I leave out the protein powders because I don't believe they're necessary, they're not truly raw, and the greens are providing you some proteins, aw well. I eat enough seeds and nuts during the day to satisfy my protein needs curiosity.
No egg because 1.) sounds kinda gross, and 2.) trying to keep it vegan. I'm also in to food combining right now, and I don't know if that would mix well
A mom friend of mine passed on the tip that a local coffee shop has kale smoothies that toddlers love even if they won't eat vegetables, so Nolan and I will share one every once in a while. But it will be nice to be able to make my own. So thanks for the detailed post! New things like this can be overwhelming for me without the step-by-step detail and tips you included. :)
Sweet, Kate! They're very easy to make, and I'm sure and Nolan will be enjoying homemade green smoothies VERY soon :)
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about the bananas...do you freeze them sliced like that in a tupperware? I never thought of that! I've only seen them frozen in the peel and I get really grossed out by overripe / brown bananas, and I don't want to have to look at a brown banana just sitting there every time I open my freezer. But slicing them and then freezing them is such a good idea!
Oh and do you like your Oster blender? We just have a little mini blender and mini food processor because I hardly use them. Justin makes fun of me because I will go out of my way not to use them since I HATE cleaning them. Having to take all the little parts out and stick them all in the dishwasher and then put it all back together again. Ugh. But you just give your stuff a rinse and that works OK?
OK sorry for all the comments but I am into this green smoothie thing and I need all the details. :)
Kate,
Yes, I get a bunch of about 6 bananas from the store, and slice them straight into a tubberware container, then pop them in the freeze. You're right...it's easier on the eye AND the blender!
I have an older version of this Oster model:
http://www.oster.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2035
and yes, I love it! For a non-professional blender, it has been great for me.
And girl, don't mess with taking it apart, and all that jazz, to clean it. When I just blend a green smoothie (or anything not containing oils), I just turn the tap water on hot, immediately rinse it out once I'm finished, and flip it upside down on "toweled" countertop to air dry. It's totally fine to do this. I only do a "soap cleaning" by hand if I blend something that has oil in it. Then, when I happened to run the dishwasher, I'll stick it in there for a cleaning, but I still don't break it apart. That may be gross, but I don't care...I'm not a germ phobe.
No worries about the questions! Keep 'em coming!
And Kate....I'll be waiting for Nolan's picture ;-)
Give your fam a hug from me!
We had our first homemade green smoothie a few days ago, and have had one every day since! :) I've been rinsing the blender instead of washing and it's worked fine so far. I am not a germophobe either so I don't know why it didn't occur to me to do that earlier! Anyway, thanks for all your tips and answers to my questions! I'll send the pic of Nolan sipping his smoothie soon.
Awesome, Kate! Can't wait to get a Nolan green mustache pic ;)
Post a Comment