Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Don't get your back up!

Dang, people get so defensive when you talk about food lifestyle!  I fully admit I can, and have been, one of those people, too.  It's so funny how much controversy can be brought forth with a conversation on food nutrition.  Since starting this experiment, I have become more sensitive to both what I say to others, and how I react to other's comments regarding my own food choices.  Why do we get so defensive and upset when other's food decisions don't jive with our own.  I think we get so bent out of shape because of 1.) pride, and 2.) concern for others.  Each and everyone of us thinks we have the answer, and because we do, we have care and concern for all our loved ones who supposedly don't have the right answer.  This way of thinking and reacting towards others doesn't just lie in food debate; it's in every subject worthy of debate.  Take religion, politics, parenting, lifestyle, etc., and you will find the same results: everyone's got their back up!

Pride is a strong characteristic.  Without humility, pride can kill us.  We need pride to be strong, but we need humility to be understanding.  Pride can create leaders of the world, but it can also cause them to fall the hardest and fastest.  This food experience of mine has given me a dose of needed humility.  Yes, I used to be one of those people who stereotyped vegetarians, called out their contradictions, and never let their knowledge enter my brain; but through this experience, I have learned to calm those reactions and realize I, nor you, have THE answers or are contradiction free.  We have relative answers that work for us, but not answers for the whole.  One thing I have noticed is the less "rules" and guidelines you have for yourself, the "safer" you are from having combative debates...but is "safe" the way to be in regards to the important issues of life?  I don't think so; I think it's a weak stance, but I do believe in strength balanced with humility.  Think of others, folks, and how strong, but fragile, your ideologies can come across to others before being so liberal with them.  Be a lifelong student open to the possibilities of "failure" and doubt.  I might be wrong, and you might be wrong, but one thing we're not is mentally sedentary.  So, don't get your back up; educate, but don't degredate; and, have some humility knowing you could possibly be wrong.  

Alright, enough of Claire's Random Thoughts, and on tooooooooooooooo.........LUNCH!  Yum, lunch was good today!  Like I said previously, I've had a hard time finding easy and palatable savory raw dishes, but am doing much better!  I'm into raw sandwiches (especially since getting my dehydrator!), salads, marinated portobello mushrooms, as well as all marinated veggies.  I love caesar salads, but have always been a huge believer of having the sardines in the dressing.  Eeeek, sardineless caesar salad?!?!  BUT, I have found an awesome raw vegan alternative dressing (supposedly Woody Harrelson's recipe) which is very up to par with the traditional caesar recipe I'm used to.  Give it try; it was soooooooo good!


Woody Harrelson's Raw Vegan Caesar Salad

Dressing:

Makes 1 pint of thick dressing that will keep fresh for a week.
  • 5 tablespoons raw tahini
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 2 tablespoons tamarind paste (optional- I did not use)
  • 2 regular sized cloves garlic + 2 green onions
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1.5 tsp. worchestire sauce (not raw or vegan, so leave out if being strict to those prinicples...but, I love it in a caesar dressing)  
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup or  2 medjool dates, pitted
  • 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • fresh water, 2 - 4 tablespoons at a time as necessary to blend
In a blender or Vita Mix: Blend tahini, pine nuts, tamarind, garlic, green onion or minced onion, lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup or dates, nutritional yeast, black pepper and sea salt, adding oil and fresh water, 2 tablespoons at a time as necessary to blend until very smooth.
Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
*Claire's Note*  My salad included romain lettuce, carrot, avocado, green onion, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, sprouts, and tomatoes.

And yes, I ate it ALL....duh,
Claire


3 comments:

Jill said...

Omg, Claire, that salad is beautiful!! I'm not sure I could take the time to make such a colorful display and then consume it - but I'm a throw-everything-into-a-bowl, toss, and eat sorta girl. I will make a smoothie here soon and send you a pic :).

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Yay! Hope so, Jill! Send me your pic!

Eh, that salad wasn't hard to put together. I just mixed it all up, fanned an avocado on top, put some tomato around the top, and a bunch of sprouts on top...YOU could do that any day!

Steve Circeo said...

Hey, how did this post from 2009 pop up first here? Good read, though. Any salad with that much avocado on it is a winner in my book.... You are right about nutrition fanaticism. One thing I've learned in life is that there is really no way to know what is right or wrong outside your own personal experience. All the information we receive is manipulated for whatever reasons -- usually money -- so we need to, by trial and error, find the right way for each of us to eat.

OTOH, it is difficult for me to watch someone I love, or even just like, consuming, for example, a sugar-filled soda. It pains me, because I really believe that person is poisoning his or her body. Still, I fall back on the fact that I cannot know what is right or wrong for that person, and let it slide. I wish my mom and dad would do that with their ideas about god and heaven....