Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Year's Resolutions



I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions.  I just don't work that way.  Some people need a goal, or purpose, to serve as a "push" in their new endeavors.  Not me.  In fact, I'm kind of the antithesis of this ideology.  I don't work well under stress; I shut down.  Someone calling me a "puss," or "if you don't do this, you're a failure" just doesn't really motivate me.  In fact, it makes me do exactly the opposite of what you're trying to get me to do.  Yes, I was that kid.  I probably never got in to team sports for this exact reason.  Competition doesn't drive me, teammates annoy me, and group projects are hellacious.

I know a lot of people are really "in" to making New Year's Resolutions, but in my opinion, why wait for a specific moment (like the new year) to concentrate on your "weaknesses" you've known about your whole life?!  I have no patience whatsoever, so that's probably why I can't get into resolutions.  I see a problem that bothers me, and I start trying to fix it that day!  I discover something I want to do, and I start doing it!  Compulsive is my middle name.  I have friends who state their New Years Resolutions back in September, and then wait 'till New Year's Day to "start" them!  That's weird...and what's the point?  Maybe my year-long New Years Resolution should be to concentrate on being less compulsive, and learn how to sit on them for half a year until that "special day." 

Also, there are many "problems" about me that don't bother me enough TO fix; I'm probably stuck with them my entire life as an aspect of my personality.  As long as they don't cause major conflict in my life, or someone else's, I'm cool with learning how to work with these characteristics to their most positive affect.   I think a lot of people try so hard to change fundamental aspects of their personality instead of learning how to live with them.  It's too extreme to think you can change that drastically; you're bound to fail!  For example, I'm always going to be super blunt because I honestly don't even know I am half the time.  Instead of trying to fix my bluntness by becoming subdued, I choose to focus on not being "too" blunt to where I might really hurt someone's feelings, or something.  Is this a cop-out?  Hell no; it's a reality. 

In a sum-up, New Years Resolutions are totally about personality types.  Some people need them to feel purpose driven, and some think they're a set-up for failure.  Some people need to meet goals, and some people are cool with the security of their day-to-day consistent life.  Some people need a pre-meditated road map from A to B, and other are just enjoying the ride.

I don't know if this blog really had an objective, but for some reason New Year's Resolutions have always seemed silly to me, and I never make them.


2010...sounds weird, right?!,
CC

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how I feel about Lent time!!

Mandy said...

Amen. Haven't made a New Year's Resolution in years.

Unknown said...

Totally, Lent's in the same boat, here...

Jill said...

Those look devine. Unfortunately, they have about 10 ingredients too many. Anything you can make with 2-3 items cuz that's about all my pee-brain can handle. Maybe you could make these things you post and sell them. I'd be first in line!

I give up sugar, periodically, because I know it gets my body fat down quickly before a big race but I don't do it for lent or for NY. I should really start up again, I'm in a blah state.