Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Raw Pumpkin Pie


Raw Pumpkin Pie


I've been dying to make this recipe as I've had frozen fresh carrot juice on hand for quite some time.  All I can say is my dad has already requested this raw pumpkin pie to replace the standard cooked pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving this year.  Yes, it's that good....

This is my sliiightly adapted version of Mathew Kenney's original recipe which can be found here.  I did not dehydrate my crust, as I felt it was unnecessary.  I also increased the sweetener and vanilla extract a tad since I have a sweet tooth, and almost always increase the vanilla and salt in every dessert recipe I make.

CRUST:
2 1/4 cups pecans
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon date paste
1/4 tsp salt

1. Place prepared pecans in food processor; pulse into small fine crumbs. Mix pecans and all remaining ingredients together well by hand.
2. Press into plastic (or parchment) lined 9-inch tart pan to desired thickness.
3. Chill crust in freezer for 15-30 minutes before filling. If not using all of hte crsut mixture, store extra in a container in the freezer.

FILLING:
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup agave
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup + 2 Tbs. carrot juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 vanilla bean, scraped (if you have it, no biggie if you don't)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg

1. Blend the cashews and carrot juice together first until creamy, then add the rest of the ingredients.  Thoroughly blend until well combined, and coconut oil is completely distributed through mixture.  Pour into tart shell, and chill overnight in refrigerator, or freezer.

The pie will slice "prettiest" if done straight from the freezer, but the pie should be served at refrigerator temp.  I kept mine in the refrigerator the whole time, and it has been fine.  If you are planning to travel this pie, it must be frozen.

*If you do not have a juicer, I know both Whole Foods and Central Market keep raw unpasteurized carrot juice on hand.  At Whole Foods, you might have to go to the juice bar to get it.  I'm not as familar with Whole Foods as I am with Central Market, but I do not Central Market keeps raw juices (carrot always being a staple) in the produce section of the store.  You can buy little 2 cup containers, which is nice when using just for a recipe.

**the coconut oil is absolutely imperative for this recipe to hold together.  Coconut oil has a very low melting point, and solidifies at the slightest drop in temperature...hence keeping the pie in the fridge.

Happy un-cooking!
CC Bloom

No comments: