At any rate, I have been WAY pumped about experimenting with this little jewel of an ingredient. Fortunately, it's Jim-dawg's big 46th birthday this Saturday, so I finally had a reason to make a pie so I can use the Irish Moss. I just couldn't wait 'till Saturday, though, so I decided to embrace the "birthday week" theme, and grace him with a raw vegan coconut cream pie. The cool thing about raw "baking" is that there's not as mush science to the ingredients as there is in regular baking. In raw "baking" you basically make something taste great, and then choose a way to thicken it. Lecithin, Irish Moss, Coconut Oil, and avocados are usually used to achieve a pie-like texture. Irish Moss was my choice this time around. I know it looks scary, but give it a shot! I promise it does NOT taste or smell like anything.
Preparing Irish Moss
FYI, I simply followed the directions on the bag. Here I've taken a handful (I should have weighed it, but I didn't), soaked it in water, "massaged" the moss to release the sand/salt/whatever is on it off, dump that water, covered it with clean water again, and repeated this process about three times throughout a 14 hour period. Once it's soaked that long, the moss will have swollen, become transparent, and pliable.
At this point, the moss is ready to use. If using it immediately, you can use it as is by blending it THOROUGHLY in the food processor with the wet ingredients of your recipe.
As for me, I was not ready to use it immediately so I opted for the "storing route." To do this, simply put the soaked moss in your food processor with a little bit of water, and blend thoroughly until it forms a loose gel.
Store the gel in a container, and place in the fridge until ready to use. Once refrigerated, it will become very stiff and jello-like. When ready to use, simply scoop out the desired amount and blend with the wet ingredients of your recipe.
There you have it! Irish Moss! It was so exciting to prepare (yes, I'm that big of a foodie dork)! As for how much to use, that depends on your recipe. I used half this container (which was a small plastic container that sandwich meat comes in), and it was not quite enough, as I would have liked my pie to be stiffer. It takes more than I thought.
Have fun with Irish Moss! It can be used to make puddings, cakes, ice creams, pies, etc.





6 comments:
do you notice a big price difference? Like how much is a mossy grass? What is the comparison to making a cake your style compared to normal box cake like holly would do???
Well, the way I cook, I don't notice a big difference in price. because I like to experiment in the kitchen constantly and buy exotic ingredients, it comes pretty even with the expense of a S.A.D. diet.
A raw would be equivalent in cost to a "normal" pie. But a "cake in the box" Holly-style would be cheaper than a raw version of that cake....and cheaper in health, too! You get what you pay for, Holly :-/
Oh yeah, and this is the Irish Moss I bought...
http://www.shoprawfoods.com/product/nz-seamoss
....which could make at least 6 pies, I think
Very nice blog you have!
Okay, I'm a holly-style-get-your-cake-from-a-box-chick myself ... or better yet, when in need of a quick cake, run to the nearest grocery store - so you inspire me, Claire. Though I haven't ventured outside the spinach smoothie (and I will admit that I mix it with protein powder, which probably isn't raw...but much needed in my diet) and a failed attempted at the berry pancakes, I am one day going to buy some of this moss. So in all those heart-felt words, the big guestion is: how did it taste? Coconut cream pie is my very fav....
Thanks!!
Jill, it tasted just like a coconut cream pie without the meringue. It's my favorite pie, as well, so I was definitely picky, and it was definitely good. My dad thought it was the s*#t!
Post a Comment