Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"I'm just doing my job, lady..." -Mr. Apple

Many people complain about fruit giving them gas, or causing diarrhea, upset stomach, and so on...but that's pretty much what fruit is supposed to do!  Any new-to-green-smoothies people out there experiencing "discomfort?"  There's a reason why...fruits are detox foods!



Excess toxins in the body have been linked to causing degenerative diseases, such as arthritis, cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.  These toxins can also cause cellulite, GI problems, premature aging, insomnia, weight gain, fatigue, allergies, and acne.  Our body tries it's best to do it's own detoxing, but due to our switch to more processed, less natural, whole foods, we need to help our bodies out by providing the right "tolls" in aiding the body's natural detox process.

Raw fruits are the best way to aid detoxification, but raw vegetables are also detox foods, as well as other misc. foods.  One doesn't need to spend hundreds of dollars on detox programs, or supplements; all you need is go to the grocery store and load up on fruits and leafy greens!  Green smoothies, and fresh raw juices are the easiest way to incorporate aid to your body's natural detox system.  Yes, if you have not been an avid fruit eater before adding green smoothies into your diet, you will experience some GI discomfort.  Why?  Because those fruits and leafy greens are pulling years of stored wastes from your cells and body at a somewhat rapid rate through your GI track, and out your you know what!  Makes sense, eh?  So, don't stop drinking those juices and smoothies because they give you gas or diarrhea; that's exactly what they're supposed to do!  They're just doing their job, guys.

So now you're thinking I'm telling you your body's going to feel like crap for the rest of your life simply so you can "detox?"  No.  These uncomfortable symptoms will subside as your body gets cleaner.  Here are some common detox symptoms you will notice your body going through:
  • Acne
  • Hives
  • Rashes
  • Flatulence
  • Diarrhea 
  • Fever
  • Headaches
  • Night Sweats
  • Body aches
  • Fatigue
  • Mood Swings
  • Food Cravings
  • Excessive phlegm, mucus, congestion
  • Mouth Sores
As for my own personal detox period, I can definitely say I experienced some of these symptoms.  I think the first one was swollen sore gums, and swollen lymph nodes.  I haven't come across a lot of other people who have experienced swollen lymph nodes, but my lymph nodes are very sensitive, so I was not surprised.  At this time, I was not even aware my recent diet switch was detoxing my body, so I just thought I had some weird gum irritation.  It didn't occur to me until later that my gum irritation was most likely a detox symptom.  Also, my skin did break out a little, but not too bad.

I was extremely bloated for a good two weeks.  I'm not going to lie, I felt miserable.  I wasn't sure if this would subside, or not, simply because of the longevity...but it did.  Once I "deflated," I felt great!  I finally started feeling light, and like my body was processing normally throughout the day.

*Beware: TMI*  I also produced a LOT of "waste," if ya catch my drift.  My bowel movements were not necessarily more frequent, but definitely plentiful.  I thought they might stay this way, pinning the excessive waste to the high fiber in my new diet, but I now know it was due to toxin purging as my diet has not changed at all, but my present day waste amount has reduced.

I also experienced the fatigue, and tiredness, as well.  It was difficult to keep up my regular running regiment during that time.  I also slept a lot and deep!  For those of you who don't know, I have had trouble sleeping almost my whole life.  Since getting on raw foods, I am sleeping great!  It's amazing.  My sleeping has normalized to regular length now being on the downhill slope of my detox, but has continued to stay deep and sound.  I'm so jazzed about this!

Aside from all the unpleasant detox symptoms, I'm glad I pressed through them as I'm starting to feel great now.  Believe me, I've always been a skeptic about detoxing and internal body cleanses...but I'm not now.  There are suggestions on how to ease detox symptoms.  I think one of the best techniques is to keep up with your daily hygeine.  The skin is one of the biggest exits, like your GI system, for the release of the toxins.  While detoxing, make sure to shower daily, exfoliate, do not douse yourself in oils and creams, and dry brush your whole body before showering with a natural bristle body brush.

If I had to provide one piece of advice for detoxing, it would be to take detoxing slow.  If you're eating a S.A.D. diet, and you immediately go to an all raw juice detox, you're going hurt.  Try going from S.A.D. with the incorporation of raw fruits for breakfast, to Vegetarian, to Vegan, to incorporating more raw foods, and then to something more drastic such as a raw juice detox, or some other kind of full detox program.  Detoxing too much too fast can be quite a shock to the body.  Also, eat all, and only, fruits in the morning on an empty stomach up until 30 minutes before lunch.  Raw fruits are most affective at detoxing at this time, and will not ferment with other food sitting in the stomach which can cause more gas, and bloating.

A lot of Raw Food, and Green Smoothie websites have online forums where "detox" has either it's own page, or is discussed frequently.  You can find much information and support in those forums.  Here are some helpful links regarding detox, and symptoms:
  • http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/312332/natural_detox_symptoms_during_a_home.html?cat=2
  • http://www.radicalradiance.com/2009/06/common-detox-symptoms-commentary-from.html
  • http://www.healthrecipes.com/body_detox.htm
  • http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/tips-for-understanding-the-difference-between-detox-symptoms-and-sickness-584849.html
  •  http://www.fruitarian.com/ao/Detoxification_with_fruit_nutrition.htm

8 comments:

Jill said...

Wowzie, Claire.
First, since I'm apparently S.A.D, what do those acronyms mean exactly?
Second, I don't sleep well I think I eat well with lots of fruits - tho not raw. I'm also WAAAY older than most people you know and I think that this is a factor, too.
Third, I'm going to try to do better by you...maybe even look for a dehydrator online if I can score a cheap one.
That's it for today. You've inspired me!! Oh, do you have any raw advice for a sore glute and hamstring? :)

I'm back home a day early from trip b/c we are getting dumped on with snow! 14" predicted. 14!!! This is WAY too early in CO...and what sucks is that I'm off school this entire week and now house-bound!! ERRR! I guess I have time to experiment with your treasures then, eh? :) And write you a promised run-n blog.

Unknown said...

S.A.D. simply mean "Standard American Diet"

Girl, you can buy any cheap dehydrator to do things like kale chips, crackers, fruit roll-ups, etc. There are some around $50.

Soreness?! That's your department, Jill! I don't do anything besides stretching before and after running, and a DAY OFF sure does help if you can handle it, lady ;-)

School, do you teach, or are you in school? My sis lives in Vail, CO, so I know all about the cold weather, but yes, snow in Denver in October is def strange!

Jessica said...

Great post! I was wondering about mouth sores today. I'm transitioning into a more raw from vegan, and I get a lot of small, not very serious, mouth sores. I was wondering what this was, but I guess it is detox! Thanks for the resources.

Jill said...

Teach high school Earth Science.

Got a kick-ass massage for the glute pain. Happy camper right now!

Christina said...

I can definitely relate to a bunch of those detox symptoms - it seems that once one goes away another one comes up like a few weeks ago it was super poop and then this week it's sensitive gums. It all pays off in the end though (pun?).

I am the most happy to hear that you are sleeping soundly! This post reminded me of the power that what we put in our body has on us - far more than we expect.

Unknown said...

Yes, I seemed to experience something new once one goes away. I actually came across a great website the other day that mapped out the stages of detox (I might have included it in the urls?). As I was reading through the stages, it was so relieving to map out my own detox journey jiving wit these "stages." It really helped confirm my suspicions about whether my body was detoxing, or getting "sick."

I'm so glad to hear other have experienced the mouth sores, too!

Dan said...

Claire...that puking apple picture is freaking AWESOME! Laughing hard!

Dan

Unknown said...

I know; it's hillarious!