I'm still trying to find good savory raw dishes besides salads, sandwiches/wraps, and marinated veggies...which are all great. People ask me all the time what I miss from the S.A.D. diet, or what am I craving that I "can't" have. Honestly, I haven't missed animal protein at all. What I HAVE missed is yeast risen baked bread. Granted, I have eaten some leavened bread since this experience; sometimes I have some with dinner, as dinner is my "let loose" meal.
I'm not 100% raw right now, nor know if I ever will be. My parameters right now are to be 100% Vegan (with the exception of being asked over for a dinner at a friend's, or eating out, which is a rarity), and about 75% Raw. As of right now, I'm what Raw Foodists call "Raw 'till Dinner." I'm cool with this stage; it's easy and workable around having a social life, and having compatible dinners with Steven in the evenings. This way, I can cook a "normal" dinner consisting of an animal protein (for Steven) and two cooked veggie sides for both of us. I usually incorporate something raw in the mix for me, like a raw cracker or salad. Anyway, it's been way easy to maintain this structure.
For lunches/dinners, I'm trying to expand my savory raw food repertoire. Salads, and sandwiches have been great, but I'm exploring more avenues, and especially trying to find a Claire-friendly substitute for baked leavened bread. I've tried a couple raw bread recipes, but none of them have sufficed. I'm trying another, more basic flavored, raw bread recipe this afternoon. I have hope in this one...I think.
Yesterday for lunch I gave raw soup a second attempt, as my first raw soup attempt was NOT good. I found a recipe for a raw Creamy Tomato Basil Soup that looked promising. "Creamy," you ask? Yes, creamy. Vegans use nuts, especially cashews, as a dairy substitute. It's a surprisingly very pleasing alternative! So, the soup turned out not that bad. Since I've made the non-raw, non-vegan version of this soup many times before, it will be hard for me to find a total winning replacement to its original, but it was definitely edible and good. Maybe if I warmed it up some, it would be better. I also had a raw dehydrated onion 'bread" to accompany my soup, which was good, but the onion was too over-powering. I breathed onion fire breath all afternoon. Hmph, not a failure, but not a total success, either. Still trying...
And yes, I actually DO drink my green smoothies "green" by not adding blueberries. Sometimes, I think you guys might think I'm lying to you will all my non-green green smoothies. Here was this morning's...YUM! I heart green smoothie time!


2 comments:
I've gotten to the point (even after a week) that I totally crave the green monster. Haley was over two nights ago and for breakfast I made migas, but when I had eaten them my body was like SMOOOOTHIE! so I made one and felt WAY more satisfied. Interesting.
I know! I feel the same way....
Post a Comment