Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Do I see $125.00 out there? I see $125.00 from the man in the black hat!"

I "manage" a storage unit, but definitely with the help of our day-to-day guy, Dave. He's really the one who does all the work; I just deposit the money. Anyway, I'm sitting here right now at the storage office waiting for Dave to finish auctioning off some units. This line of business definitely has it's ups and down; we call it the "Storage Days of our Lives." We meet some of the most wild characters through the storage business. I never realized how many poor, pitiful, excuse-filled, don't-take-responsibility-for-their-actions people there are in the world. Drives me nuts. This job reminds me why I probably could never be a full-on democrat; I just don't feel sorry enough for people and their self-inflicted problems due to bad decisions.

I'm all about the hyphens in this blog. Bare with me.

Whenever it's Auction Time at the storage, the pity-parties come forth full force. We get everything from "I'm in another state, in a women's shelter, with no money, and the only way you can contact me is through this odd answering machine service, and by the way, I'm dying from a rare form of cancer." Seriously, these people lay it on thick; they want you to feel so sorry for them so you don't sell their junk. Now let's think about this....if you were poor as dirt, couldn't pay your bills, feed your family, etc, wouldn't you want to have your junk auctioned off to relieve you from the financial burden of a monthly expensive rent on a storage unit?! More times than not we go into these units once we have "Claimed their Unit," due to their outstanding balance, only to find worthless crap occupying just a third of their unit. SELL IT! IT'S JUST STUFF! WE EVEN GIVE YOU BACK THE ULTRA PERSONAL STUFF, LIKE PICTURES, AND IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS! Feeding your babies, and paying your mortgage are more important than shelling out, sometimes, $800 to prevent going to auction. It kills me. These people's priorities are so screwed up....

I don't even want to think about this anymore.

No comments: