The "menstrual cup." Ever heard of one of these things? I think somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my mind, I sort of remember someone mentioning one of these devices of which I immediately brushed off as something I would never do...but, then I discovered a friend of mine was using one, and she alluded that I must have been completely in the Stone Age since I was not riding on this bandwagon, yet. Well, we can't have that, now!
To researching, I went....to obsessing, I became.
So, I bought a cup (THIS one to be exact) after reading MANY various reviews of cups and watching a ridiculous amount of YouTube videos, I waited impatiently for the first time in my life for Aunt Flo's knock on my door.
Here are a few different brands of menstrual cups. Please know there are many more!
![]() |
| SckoonCup |
![]() |
| MeLuna Cup |
![]() |
| Lunette Cup |
Here's the basic run down of the menstrual cup. It's a silicone shot glass you shove up your vajayjay when Aunt Flo comes for her monthly visit. Catch Aunt Flo in the suction-sealed silicone shot glass, remove, pour out, flush toilet, wipe cup, repeat.
Wait, wait, wait, CiCi! You want me to capture and get up-close-and-personal with the exact essence of what I loathe most about being a female?!?! And did you really say pour it out? Nope, uh uh, I don't think so. Why the hell would I ever choose this method over tampons/pads???
Well, I'm glad you asked! Here's why:
- It's economical. Just a one-time purchase of somewhere between $20 - $40, instead of spending $20 dollars EVERY time Aunt Flo barges in.
- It's comfortable. Can't feel menstrual cups (like tampons), and no drying out (UNlike tampons).
- No more toxic absorption from chemical drenched tampons/pads.
- No TSS worry.
- Menstrual cups hold three times as much as tampons, so less changing. Depending on that day's flow, you can wear up to 12 hours!
- Blood never touches the air, so no oxidation stink.
- Possible shorter periods with less symptoms. Menstrual blood is NOT the same consistency as water, and a tampon does not soak it up like it does that blue water shit in the commercials. Instead, a tampon can, at times, act like a plug keeping old blood up there until its "passage way" has been cleared. The menstrual cup keeps that passage open so all fluid can freely fall into the cup.
- No more carrying bulky, embarrassing feminine products to the office bathroom.
- No pee-soaked strings hanging out from your bathing suit bottoms.
- Did you know menstrual blood contains stem cells? Start collecting that shit, and save the world!
- Fido won't be digging through your trash running around playing catch me if you can with your old bloody tampons and pads!
- Master Gardeners, menstrual blood makes a fantastic fertilizer, I hear...
- No waste! Go hippie green!
- You're always prepared as long as the cup stays in your purse (or your vag). No more leaking through a tampon only to discover while you're trapped in a public restroom that you've run out of extra tampons. Now THAT is an "Oh, Shit!" moment.
- And the biggest surprise to me? IT'S CLEANER! Since the cup creates a suction seal, fluid does not seep lower than the rim of the cup allows. Therefore, the parts of your vaginal walls your fingers need to access in order to put it and get out the cup are clean! It's really not a mess like you think it would be!
So, how did my first run go with using the Sckoon menstrual cup? Surprisingly awesome! Total cup convert, here! I read over and over about the cup having a learning curve needing a few cycles to really get the hang of it, but I think because I researched so much before my trial run, I was aware of the potential problems I might face and how to resolve them. The cup needs to pop open and seal correctly, and each type of cup, fit, and body has it's own set of characteristics that may require unique tweaks and quirks in order to get it just right. IF you'd like to read about my experience in dirty detail, I've done that in THIS separate blog post for the sake of the squeamish. Do your reading and research! There is tons of detailed information out there that can seriously helps lesson this learning curve or eliminate it all together. And remember, a cup that works for your friend might not be the same cup that works for you. Is a cup uncomfortable when inserted? You might want a softer cup, or a shorter length cup, or need to cut off the stem, or one with a different rim design. Don't give up if your first go at using a cup was not the most pleasant experience. There is a cup out there for YOU!
The following YouTube channel, LiveJournal site, and Online Store were invaluable resources to me!
Bree at Precious Stars Pads is incredible! I was blown away by her knowledge at such a young age:
This is a forum-style site filled with every day experienced and novice cup users giving reviews, tips, and answers to whatever questions you might have.
Feminine Wear is an UK online store that carries a large selection of various menstrual cups you can not buy in the US. Seriously, the Europeans have this cup stuff down way better than we do Their shipping is fast and reliable! Click on the US flag under the shopping cart icon, and the prices will switch over to US currency.
CLICK HERE!
If you would like to buy a "pre-loved" cup and save some cash, this off-shoot site of the Menstrual Cups LiveJournal site is a place to advertise your buying and selling needs!
CLICK HERE!



No comments:
Post a Comment