Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

"These are a few of my favorite things"....in 2010

I don't really get attached to particular years, so "New Year's" is really not that big of a deal to me.  A lot of people LOVE the idea of New Years, and goals/resolutions, and shedding the last 365 days...but, not me.  I feel more connection to a day, or week...but to stretch that emotional attachment over the span of a year???  Na, not my thing.  With that said, I feel like there's some social duty to do so, so here are my likes and gripes (in no particular order) from the select 42 weeks of my life known as 2010.

The Yays!

  1. Running...especially running the Beach to Bay Relay Marathon with some of my favorite people.
  2. My parents finally pursuing their dream of owning a home in Colorado, and all the joy, serenity, and family fellowship that comes with it.
  3. Evening rides with Steven around NB on the "Townies" 
  4. the announcement of my sister and brother-in-law's pregnancy...I can't wait to be an aunt to this little guy!
  5. reuniting my friendship with my childhood bestie, Kathryn.
  6. Moving to Denton with Steven, and my personal success for surviving the change
  7. Green smoothies, juicing, and cashew cream
  8. The surprise visit of my mom and grandma on my first birthday in Denton
  9. Kelly Wagner, Olivia Beane, Zack Ezer and Shannon Fitz., Christina Stock (and Co.), Nick Tag, Jeff Felderhoff, Grace Moore, and Mindy Hinnegan...I adore ALL my friends, but these peeps in particular really made a marker in my 2010. 
  10. Steven's family...I am so fortunate to have this family on my other side; they are great!
The Nays:
  1. Back problems
  2. My car catching fire in my driveway
  3. Moving to Denton (this one gets both a yay and nay)
  4. Being poor from Aug- Dec. (and on into 2011) as a result of working only part-time and obtaining my teaching certificate.
  5. Fred suffering from Vestibular Syndrome
  6. The loss of a friend
  7. The physical distance between me and my folks
  8. My lack of interest in and motivation at playing guitar and singing
  9. My grandpa Richard's ominous threat of a massive heart and the quadruple bypass performed, as a result.
  10. The life-sucking, parasitic concrete of DFW

All in all, 2010 treated me well.  This year hosted a lot of change for me and my family.  I am thankful for all the good, bad, and the ugly.  Without the salty, the sweet just don't taste as sweet...so I guess it's a good thing I like that salt shaker in one hand just as much as a slice of cake in the other.  Cheers to 2010!

2 comments:

Mindyland said...

Glad I made the Yay list instead of the Nay :) We need to get together soon! I like this.

Christina said...

cheers! also, if there is any dallas exploring we can do to make you hate it less (hey, it happened to me) we can make a list and make it a challenge in 2011.