Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Trade In?

Do you ever not like who you think you're bound by nature AND nurture to fundamentally be? Sometimes I don't. Sometimes, I wish I could be more 25 year old-like; more care-free about not having a job, health insurance, or think I can survive on the berries in my back yard. Maybe more tattoo wearing, lib-loving, OR red-neck, gay hatin', and bible beatin'??? Or, less "you silly young people" like. Or, more promiscuous, spontaneous, giggly, and slutty-clothes-wearing. I used to think I could reverse my innate grandma-esque qualities by submerging myself in a sub-culture of the exact opposite only to find out I'm really not that opposite. And sooooometimes, it's discovering I'm a little bit of both, but not extremely one, that gets me the MOST frustrated with who I am. Why can't I be so absolute when answering the "who I am" question like all these extremist are?! Sometimes, I envy them and their unwavering confidence in answering that question.

I think sometimes I can envy the one person I also hate the most. What's up with that?! All the people who drive me crazy because they are literally soooo naive and selfish, I envy because I'd just might have a little more "fun," and be more tolerant, in big crowds when I'm out trying to do the normal 25 year old thing. Maybe if I was a little LESS introspective, and little more dumb and numb, life would be a hell of a lot easier. Then, when I do fuck up, it doesn't hurt as bad 'cause I'd be too naive and selfish to even realize it WAS a fuck up. AHHHHHH! My brain hurts.

But, as soon as I lay it out like this, I wouldn't trade me for the world. It all becomes more clear and convincing. I'll be worrying about this again in another 28 days. The joys of being a woman.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I do love when a new post from you pops up in my blogger window. About your identity crises, congratulations, you're normal. And fabulous.

Unknown said...

hahaha...I think I'm going insane at least every three days!

carlisle algonquin said...

ditto. I thought I was the only one who thought like that. except i'm the naive, selfish, dumb and numb. But i'm also too introspective. Dammit! I'm also not a woman.:p I think you're a strong, talented, smart, beautiful and thoughtful young woman. If you could see the you that I see
When I see you seeing me
You'd see yourself so differently
Believe me. I almost got all philosophical on your ass. But I would've gone on and on for a while so maybe in person would be better?