Since the subject of euthanasia has been on my mind frequently the past two years, I've found myself contemplating the ethical, humanistic, religious, and emotional viewpoints that often accompany the subject. In particular, phrases of condolence such as: "[the animal] is so thankful to you for ending his/her pain" and "it's the humane way to die" and "don't let them suffer; you can ease their pain" run over and over again in my head while in the throws of grief.
I, personally, believe in the validity of all those phrases of support and compassion, but I also know that some of those offering those phrases don't necessarily believe their own spoken convictions when it comes to care of the terminally ill in their own species. I'm talking about Assisted Suicide, Human Euthanasia, and "The Right to Die," which is illegal in most states. How come I have never received a "don't help them pass over" or "let them suffer as long as long as possible" or "the humane thing to do is to let them die slowly and suffer through the inevitable" when dealing with my sick pups?
I'm not here to point fingers or attempt to change one's preference or personal beliefs on the subject matter , but I would like to open conversation for the reasoning behind a person's different set of standards for the acceptance of euthanasia for animals but the non-acceptance of euthanasia for human beings. And, to be perfectly clear, I'm strictly speaking of the acceptance of euthanasia in the context of terminal disease and suffering, NOT elective suicide provoked by Depression, other emotional health disorders, or "undesirable" birth defects or disorders.
In Love and Remembrance of Del...
...and Cinna


2 comments:
Thank you for this. When Daddy went in the hospital again in March, he told Momma, "They treat animals better than this. Why do they keep bringing me back to suffer like this?" He has chosen to do hospice care at home now, but he's withering away a little piece at a time. The indignity of hospice care - unable to bathe, use the restroom, walk, even get in wheelchair, or remember what day or year it is - for someone who was so intelligent and strong-willed is heartbreaking.
Manders, I'm so sorry to hear about your father's deteriorating state. I wish it were legal to end with medicine what "medicine" has overly prolonged. Prayers for his peace and comfort during this time :-(
Post a Comment