Infusing liquors is super simple, guys! All you do is take any unflavored liquor, put stuff in it, and bam! The most popular infusions are probably fruit infusions, but herbs are used often, as well. For instance, I want to try a vanilla bean and mint infusion in vodka or grain alcohol. People have done peppercorns, basil, cilantro, etc. for bloody mary bases. Citrus zests work wonderfully. How about a lavender vodka? Or blackberry, strawberry, mango, or pineapple? You can find sooooo many tips and ideas on the internet for liquor infusions.
The most common infusions are done with vodkas and grain alcohols due to their strength and neutral flavor, but since I live in Texas and it's margarita season right now, I wanted to make a strawberry infused tequila. Holy smokes, it's wonderful! I've been enjoying the best, fresh, homemade strawberry on-the-rocks margaritas lately! Below, you can see where I've used 2 lbs organic strawberries and one 1.75ml bottle of my favorite inexpensive 100% agave Tequila, Agavalez. I chopped the strawberries, poured in the tequila, gave it a light smashing with a potato mashers just to help it out, and let sit for about 4 days (I think). When the berries lost almost all their color, and the tequila turned red and smelled of strawberry heaven, I strained the mixture first through a mesh strainer, and then through coffee filters (if you want to be really anal about the clarity). Then, pour back into the original tequila bottle, store in the fridge/freezer, and ENJOY!
The cool thing about infusions is that you 1) retain the full strength of the liquor (very important for this boozer!), and 2) obtain a full flavor without additives and sugars, and 3) it's completely customizable. After I make another batch of orangecello, I think I'm going to try vanilla bean-mint vodka for my next infusion. Oh, all the possibilities!
Depending on your tart and sweet preferences, here's a base recipe for my go-to margarita on the rocks:
Depending on your tart and sweet preferences, here's a base recipe for my go-to margarita on the rocks:
- 3 key limes juiced
- 1/2 - 1 oz. simple syrup (to preference)*
- 1.5 oz. Strawberry Tequila (take it up to 2 oz. if you want a little stronger)
- 1/2 oz. Orange Liqueur (or Orangecello at my house)
- about 1/4 cup Water or Club Soda (more or less to preference - Coconut La Croix is really good here ;-))
Infuse some booze, friends! It's so fun and so easy!
Here is a fun infusion blog I ran across. Great for ideas!
Here is a fun infusion blog I ran across. Great for ideas!
2 comments:
LOVED IT!!! So delish!!!!
HA! We live parallel lives. On my list to make right now is lavender bourbon and blackberry vodka. I'll sure be trying that strawberry tequila as well.
Post a Comment