Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Arriba! Arriba!~Salsa

Ahhh, to be in the salsa business making $4 a jar for this super easy cheap thing to make...wait, what?!?!  Yep, peeps, we have all been conned into buying these jars of less than par salsa for many years simply due to our ignorance of how to make the stuff.

As you know, my family is from Texas, and we all still live there except my sister.  She and her family live in Colorado.  Whenever they come down to TX, they buy this massive amount of restaurant salsa, freeze, and fly home with it.  All for salsa?!?!  Yes, this absurdity is true.  I've discovered there are too many people out there like my sister fretting over hard-to-find-authentic-fresh-way-too-expensive salsa, and decided to offer a very simple base salsa recipe to you all.

Note the word "base".  This is my favorite kind of salsa~ fresh, spicy, and crisp; BUT, one can certainly modify this recipe.  Some folks like chili powder and cumin in their salsa (shame on you, by the way), so add that if you want it.  You could also roast a head of garlic, or add adobe style smoked jalapenos (which would be good).  If you're brave enough, why not add some habanero peppers (now, that's just for the crazies)!  Once you know how to make a base salsa recipe, you can let your creative juices fly.

My only word of advice here...DON'T USE FRESH TOMATOES!  They're too watery, mealy, and dull.

*UPDATE*  I have been making this salsa lately replacing the serrano pepper with two chipotle jalapenos (canned in the adoboe sauce) and replacing the fresh garlic with one HEAD of oven roasted garlic.  I know that seems like a lot, but trust me, roasted garlic does not have near the intensity raw garlic has.  It's actually very sweet and mild.  Sometimes, I add an additional 1/2 clove raw garlic just to give it that raw bite, but you don't have to.  I also reduce the lime a little when making it this style.  Have fun with creating your favorite salsa!

Basic Salsa

Ingredients:
  • 1 can Hunts "fire roasted" tomatoes (my fave, but any canned tomato will work)
  • 1/2 small onion (appx. 85grams or a heaping 1/2 cup chopped)
  • 1 very large clove fresh garlic, or 2 small cloves
  • 1 serrano pepper seeds and pod removed (or jalapeno; serranos are hotter)
  • juice of 1 large lime
  • 1/4 - 1/2 bunch of cilantro
  • 3/4-1 tsp tsp kosher salt (1/2 tsp if using regular table salt)
  • 1/2 tsp sugar (optional...but it's just a tad to bring out the slight sweetness of the tomatoes)
Directions:
In a food processor, PULSE onion, garlic, and serrano/jalapeno.  Mixture should look like a small/fine chop.  Pour in canned tomatoes and remainig ingredients.  Again, PULSE until salsa comes together to a consistency you like.  Store in the refridgerator, and enjoy!  Give those ingredients time to marry together; you'll notice it will taste best after a few hours in the fridge.  Remember, the amounts of each ingredient can fluctuate to meet your own taste preference.  Here are some photos of the process for you slow ones out there ;-)





3 comments:

Christina said...

fabulousness! I love the teeny Ball jars in your pictures :)

Unknown said...

Girl, those things rock! I use them for everything, and they're cheap!

Christina said...

I'm going to have to get me some. I usually make salsa with fresh tomatoes in the summer, but have never used canned tomatoes - you're right about the watery mealy-ness though - I'm going to make some with canned next time!