Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blurbs of a self-proclaimed hermit, both by choice and force.

Denton.  "Den-Ton" as our favorite Ukranian realtor says.  For the rest us, we'll continue on with "Dent'n."  I can't believe it; Steven and I have been here for over six weeks!  Well, not much has change since I last graced my blog's presence, but Steven is as busy as ever with football.  So, that leaves me...here...weird...and somewhat lonely...but not entirely.  Those who know me, and I mean REALLY know me, know "loneliness" really doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I'm a self-proclaimed, and proud-to-be, hermit...but, you see, it's also a curse.  My toes start to become roots, and I become all too comfortable in this hole I've created.  I literally have to force myself to leave the house.  I break up outings into town into small intervals so I can space them out evenly over the week.  I have to stay in the habit of entering the outside world at least every other day, or I'll never leave and will start creating the OCD world I worked so hard to destroy years ago.

There's also a difference between being a hermit because you can be one, and being a hermit because you're forced to be one.  A sense of pride comes with the self-proclaimed hermit; you know, the "I deserve this" mentality.  A feeling of shame comes with the latter.  I'm having a hard time finding a job.  I've applied to at least 30 various openings, both part-time and full-time, ranging on the scale from grocery and retail stores to salaried/benefits careers.  I'm calling this the "Tweener" career phase theory.

My degree's in English Lit/Comp, and right after graduation I worked as an all around assistant/office manager/bookkeeper for a one-man show.  I loved my job, and my boss.  Hell, my job entitled being skilled at a little bit of everything!  Unfortunately, I don't think it comes across like that on a resume.  PLUS, I'm in a major college town, so the competition is fierce in a little pee-didly career field like mine.  I've also realized the importance of networking.  If I were out of work in New Braunfels, I don't think it would be but a couple days before word got around and I'd have opportunities presented to me.  Here in Denton, I don't know anybody; I don't have a work networking history here, or a social history, for that matter.  There's nothing that makes me stand out from the tons of other applicants.

To add to it, I'm in the "Tweener" phase!  As I mentioned previously, I have been contemplating furthering my education towards a more specific route.  Through much research, soul searching, and blind jumping, I narrowed my options down to nursing/med. therapy or teaching.  I've toyed with both ideas for years, but to make a long story short, getting my teaching certificate came in first place primarily due to less debt, less time, ability to start certification process instantly, and wanting to be in the same world as Steven.  Passion for education?  Check!  Can work with middle and high schoolers????  Not so sure.  Oh well, we'll see.  Even if I just teach for one year and hate it, I will have easily made back the debt it took for me to get certified.  No brainer, here.  I've always seen myself in an educator/impact type role, but more on the college field instead of the middle/high school fields.

Sooooooo,  that makes it even more difficult for me to get a job!  As of result of needing to place attention on my teaching cert. program and the eventual student teaching I'll be doing, I'm just looking for a little part-time and somewhat temporary job, but apparently I'm "over-qualified" for all those jobs.  What the hell?!  I'm over qualified for the jobs my under-qualified experience is forcing me to look into!  Brother!  So, it looks like substitute teaching may be my only option, even though both Steven and I do not want me to do it because he fears it will give me the wrong impression of teaching due to how little control you have over someone else's classroom full of the most wild students because their "real" teacher's gone for the day.

What's a girl to do?!?!?....besides paint her whole house...which I already did.

Man, sorry for this whole disorganized rant, but I'm just feeing so low on self-esteem right now, and anxious with all the classic worries that come with being unemployed.  More uplifting stuff to come in the next post.

Peace out,
Claire

4 comments:

leppahcetssalc said...

A couple of things:

Have you thought about substitute teaching? It's a great temp/PT job.

Also,

Tweak your resume/app. If having a degree is not important for the job you are applying for, LEAVE it OFF! :) Marisol does this when applying for pharmacy tech. positions...and gets the call for an interview. Hang in there. I've been unemployed since March....it's tough, but if it gets too bad, try a temp. agency.

Sending good vibes your way!!

Lindsey said...

Clare, Hang in there. You're still in the "settling in" phase. I, too know how easy it is just to stay "in". The move I made to Ark. was the hardest thing I've ever done. Having family here helped tremendously, but at the end of the day, they have their own lives. Our circumstances are very different and yet the same in a lot of ways. You are with someone you love. Cherish that fact.
The qualities you possess will get you through this transition. You are a smart, beautiful lady with a great sense of humor. Find a part-time something that's fun. It'll get you out and you'll meet "like" people. You can always write. You have a knack for that. Love reading your blog. Keep it up and hang tight!!!! Love you, Lindsey

Mandy said...

Crazy!! It's like you are telling my story...sort of. I have this flip-flop black/white part of me. On one side I could probably go days without leaving the apartment and then on the other side I miss having that outside world...friends, work, family. But the best part is I do have my Steven & he is the best! I do have a part-time job now at our apartment office which gets me out & about around new people but it's not my favorite. Along with taking 2 classes this fall. Well, anyways...guess this comment was more about me than you but I can relate. You'll figure it all out :o)

Unknown said...

Thanks guys, y'all rock. Yeah, Megs, I'm going to start doing that tweaking thing. Feels like I'm lying, though! Haha...