I had the blues
because I had no shoes
until upon the street,
I met a man who had no feet. -Anon
Fritos as croutons- As I mentioned previously, I had to spend a few days at my folks' for house sitting last week. As a result, my vegan diet during the week had some week spots while I was there due to NOT being in my vegan kitchen at home, and staring temptation in the face all the time! Ha! Anyway, I was really craving some croutons for my salad one day, so I found some Fritos in my folks' pantry, crushed 'em up, and threw 'em in my salad. Holy cow, it was awesome! I highly advise you all try Frito croutons. And even better, I found out Fritos ARE vegan on the PETA website. Ha! Vegan doesn't always mean healthy, but seriously, who's good all the time ;-) because I had no shoes
until upon the street,
I met a man who had no feet. -Anon
Goodbye Solo- Steven and I watched this movie Saturday morning, and we really enjoyed it. Weekend mornings are really the time Steven and I get to have quality hang out time with each, so I usually save a Netflix movie that came during the week just for this. The main character, Solo, was greatly written, and story was good, too. Honestly, I had been hesitant to watch this movie because it just didn't look appealing to me for some reason...but it ended up being just the opposite. Rent this movie; it was very enjoyable, big dawg.
Blue Cheese Wedge Salads- On the weekends, we usually go out to eat once with friends, and this is exciting for me because it's my allotted "cheat night" on Veganism (remember: vegan for health, not necessarily principle). I usually stick to vegetarian at the restaurants, but not always, although, you'll rarely find me ordering a big steak, or something. Mainly, I use this as my time to get my cheese fix. My friend Kelly and I decided to go out to the Gruene Onion Saturday night, and I got their wedge salad. I LOVE wedge salads, and this one was wonderful! Mmmmmm....cheeeeeeese.
Anytime Fitness-I recently joined a gym here in NB. I wasn't too excited about entering into the gym sub-culture, as it seems sooooo anti-Claire. I've been wanting to join for two reasons: One, I want access to a treadmill when it's cold or rainy outside, and I would like to incorporate some weight training for leg strength. My first visit was Friday afternoon. I was nervous, and didn't really have a purpose except to simply check things out. I just got on the treadmill, thinking this was were I belonged most, and gave my first run on a machine a shot. Dang, it was weird! Adjusting speed, worrying about falling off the thing, or running through it were all going through my mind. Finally, I got the hang of it, felt a groove, and really kind of enjoyed. I found it was easier, physically, to run on a treadmill than the streets. It was like running on a tight trampoline. So springy and light! I only went for a mile just to warm-up the legs for some weights, but I could see any longer distances could get boring as hell on that thing, though. Anyway, after a really terrible week of street running, having some minor "feel good" success on the treadmill help to boost my spirits some.
Hemp seed protein shakes (Jill's gonna love this)- Since I had this terrible running week with feeling weak, etc, I decided to experiment with adding a little more plant protein to my diet, especially since I'm starting to do some weight training on my legs, and my diet has been way less raw-vegan during the winter. After my runs and workouts, I've been drinking a hemp protein shake. Let me emphasize that adding protein in this way to my diet is more like a guilty pleasure than anything, because hemp shakes are so damn good! YUMMY! I take 2-3 Tbs hemp seed, 1.5 cups water, blend to a "milk," then add frozen banana, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, a little agave nectar, and maybe a little cocoa powder, and you've got the best creamy, cold, delicious shake! (I add a couple capsules of probiotics to mine because high amounts of protein can constipate me.) I really look forward to these everyday. So good, so creamy, so good for you with all those omega oils, vitamins, protein count, and SO vegan!
Be thankful,
CC
1 comment:
Yea for the protein shake, hope it makes your legs recovery quicker with all that killer weight training you're doing. I am not a gym fan either but know that it's a must-do for my running *sigh*. I was in awe to read that you don't do the vegan thing constantly, but glad you're human too :). And fritos - yummy!!
Post a Comment