4. What's your favorite childhood memory?
I had this neighborhood friend, Jessica. We were besties from as far back as I can remember. In fact, the relationship is probably better coined as adolescent "mentor-mentee"...you know, because I was so wise at 8 years old. Jessica grew up directly across the street from me; she was a few years younger than me. She was my neighborhood partner-in-crime, wild child, get-her-to-do-anything, faux student of mine, BFF. I told Jessica about Santa Clause not being real, the birds and the bees, and whatever else a little know-it-all like myself felt needed educating upon.
So, this one day, Jessica and I were sitting in her front lawn playing with our "sugar babies." (FYI, sugar babies were a big deal growing up in Dallas at the time. This site has some good pictures of what a sugar baby is. Basically, they were hand-painted porcelain heads and hands with a bean-bag type body. They were pretty realistic in look and feel.) Being the know-it-all I've always been, I was "mentoring" my little student on the subject of breast feeding...what it was, how to do it, why you do it, and so on. Jessica was way in to it, as I was blowing her mind at that moment. Remember, during this lesson we were chillin' in some lawn chairs on her front lawn, and, naturally, an older couple on their evening walk approached us. As any sweet woman would, she slows her pace and says to us, "Well, good evening, girls...what are you two up to? Playing with your baby dolls?" Low and behold, the naive Jessica screams across the street to the woman, "YEAH! WE'RE BREAST-FEEDING OUR BABIES RIGHT NOW!" Instantly, I realized I forgot to tell Jessica we should probably keep this little bit of new knowledge to ourselves for a few years! Needless to say, both the older woman AND I were stunned by shock, and I was mortified. Hahaha, I can't even remember what her reply was...
See?!?!? I guess my obsession with reproductive science has been around since the beginning! Good thing I couldn't get my hands on one of these dolls at the time!!! Poor Jessica...

No comments:
Post a Comment