Me: "Well, I mean, not wholly, I guess...but sorta'ish?"
RP: "You either 'are' or you're 'not.' What do you mean 'sorta?' So, you're a cheeeeeaaaater. What's the point, then?"
I can't tell you how much this all-too-often conversation comes up and annoys the hell out of me. Society is so obsessed with extremes! Here's the deal, folks...let me break down my thoughts on my fascination with Veganism thus far:
1. Ultimately, if done right, I think it's the most healthy thing we can do to our bodies, as well as raw juicing and exercising. I truly believe in the benefits of this food lifestyle, especially Vegan Rawism...but that doesn't mean I am a 100% vegan all the time. It's just like knowing Triathlons are probably really good for our health...but we're not all Triathletes.
2. Vegan baking is easier, and a lot of times, better tasting than non-vegan baked goods. I can not stress this enough! I almost always bake vegan now. Plus, I don't keep any eggs, and dairy milk was only introduced to the fridge once Steven and I started living together, although he's not opposed to drinking non-dairy milk.
3. Knowing vegan substitutes is awesome when you're in an ingredient bind! Honestly, one of the coolest thing about veganism is the much longer shelf life of the ingredients. No more spoiled eggs and milk! You know how awesome it is when I want to add cream to a soup, risotto, or sauce and don't have any cream on hand....BUT I do have a butt-load of cashews in the freezer/fridge?! SCORE! Or, when I want to make a batch of muffins spur of the moment and know I don't have to worry about not having any of the essential ingredients because they've gone bad?!
4. Vegan foods are good, and fun to make! I love, love, love learning new trades!
5. I truly believe in the cancer/illness theories stemming from the pH balance of our bodies, and a high plant-based diet and raw juicing help bring about a more alkaline body pH.
6. In my opinion, there is not, nor never will be, a vegan substitute for any red meat product, bacon, or gourmet cheese. The one and only true-blue undeniable craving I get is for red meat. To hell with chicken, and all that other stuff; that's easy for me to leave out if I want. And honestly, the craving really only pertains to a bleeding ribeye steak or old school pot roast dinner...not for ground meat dishes, necessarily. So yes, I avoid eating these foods on a normal day-to-day basis, but when I NEED a steak like a pregnant woman needs a pickle, I'll eat one and not feel bad about it. I've probably had about four steaks in the last year (which were prepared for me), and as the daughter of Jim "T-Rex" Cunningham, that's saying a LOT!
7. For me, Veganism is MUCH more about health than it is about animal rights. Yes, I'm all for animal rights and humane treatment, but I don't have anything against un-fenced hunting, and the slaughtering of TRUE free-range, humanely treated stock animals. I, personally, do not feel comfortable shooting a cow, deer, or pulling the head off a chicken, but I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with that if done properly.
8. I will NEVER deny the gracious food cooked for me by someone else, vegan or not. It's rude, period. Nor would I ever feel comfortable making a scene at a restaurant about their limited choice of vegan options, or make a group of friends change their dining place due to my restricted food lifestyle. THIS, alone, is the main reason I could never be 100% vegan.
9. As a culinary enthusiast, and not a nutritionist, I will always indulge in the best tasting, most creatively prepared foods when those moments present themselves. My love for culinary art will always ride side by side with my fascination with food science and theory. Neither fully trumps the other. It's like the dichotomy of one's head versus their heart ;-)
So, I wish I had ten reasons, but whatever. If I had to sum up my life philosophy in one sentence, it would be: No matter the field of interest, always approach it with a healthy balance of your heart and your head. Be a "flexitarian!"

No comments:
Post a Comment