Apple Spice Cake
Whoa baby! This cake (not raw or vegan) was a hit on my mom's birthday! It was a totally new recipe for me, but I found it on my most trust-worthy recipe website, Epicurious.com. It was a strange cake in some ways. You make it in a spring form pan, but I think you could also make it in a bundt pan. The "frosting" is basically a caramel candy type frosting. It very much resembles a praline without the pralines! You know, that melt in your mouth sugar??? Oh yeah, that's the one....
Ingredients For Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. clove
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup butter Crisco
- 2 tsp. light rum
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup + 1 Tbs. apple sauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbs. salted butter
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 6 Tbs. evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. light rum
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
Instructions:
Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter pan and set aside.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a bowl.
Beat together sugar, butter crisco, vanilla, and rum with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until combined well, then add egg and beat until pale and fluffy, 2 - 3 minutes with a stand mixer or 5 to 6 minutes with a handheld. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, mixing until combined well. Add applesauce, and mix until combined well.
Spread batter evenly in spring form pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then remove side of pan and cool completely.
For the Frosting:
(*make sure to measure out your evaporated milk all together before hand; you're basically making a caramel here, so you need to be quick with the milk)
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan, then add sugar and evaporated milk and simmer, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and whisk in rum, vanilla, salt, and remaining tablespoon butter. Then whisk in confectioners sugar 1 tablespoon at a time (*I used an electric hand mixer to do this right in the pan). Cool to warm, about 20 minutes, then pour over cooled cake.

2 comments:
omg, that cake looks sooooo good! No wonder I'm a S.A.D.!!!!
I'm still waiting to hear how you did on the race - or if you even did race, since you were so sick.
Are you feeling better now?
Well, my GI issues finally got better Sunday, but I'm still down in my back. I'll be blogging about it today...
And I will proudly admit the S.A.D. diet sure is easy on the tongue! ;-)
Post a Comment